My Scarlet X…
…isnt here yet. But I did receive some accesories I ordered with my Scarlet. You might been wondering why I asked to get two separate shipments, eventhough I have to pay for both (and living in Switzerland, doesnt make the shipment cheaper!).
They are two simple reasons:
1. RED got a lot of orders, and I dont want my accesories to be backordered as soon as my Scarlet comes in.
2. When my Scarlet comes in, I dont want to be charging the batteries for two hours each to being able to test the camera. I just want to take the camera out of the box and being able to make some test, yes I’m pretty impatient (been also waiting long enough for Scarlet).
Now to the accesories I got:
1. 4 x 64Gb SSDs
2.4 x Redvolt
4. 1x extra LCD Cable
5. 1x 2B-to-1B Adapter Cable
Why I bought those and not other:
1. I went for 4x64Gb SSDs (plus 1 with Scarlet Package) because I prefer to have a couple of smaller ones than one big one (256Gb). Its safer for my kind of shooting and with Scarlet shooting at 4K HD shooting Ratio of 6:1 I still get around 23min. (more than enough, used to work with RED One Mx and 16Gb CF Cards, shooting time around 8min).
And having 5 different SSDs I will never have problem while offloading and shooting. I heard that the offload time is of around 20min, so I still have plenty of cards to shoot.
2. I decided to go with Redvolts instead of V-Mounts, because I mainly use AC Power (if available) and otherwise having 8 Redvolts gives me around 4 hours of shooting without charging, but of course I will be charging while shooting (or my 1AC will be). Second if I need to get longer time of shooting I rent some V-Mounts and the old RED Quickplate (around U$ 60.- a day for 3 batteries and quickplate).
Of course as soon as the quad charger comes in I will order one right away, so that I can charge 4 batteries in 2 hours instead of 2hours per battery as with the travel charger.
4. The extra LCD Cable is because, being in Switzerland is pretty difficult to get from today to tomorrow an extra LCD cable (without paying lots of money). That’s why I prefer to have one always around my camera.
The intial feeling of the products it’s great, they have a great finishing and just look amazing. But they are way bigger then I thought they would be. In the pictures they look around the size of canon batteries (talking about Redvolts) but in reality they are almost twice the size and 4 times the weight (only an aproximate). I took some pictures of the Redvolts next to my Iphone so that you can see and compare by yourself.
The SSDs are also heavier than I thought but it doesn’t really matter. The case for the 4 SSDs is huge, I imagined it would be relative small, but it isn’t! Of course the expensive cards need to be good covered, but it could have been a bit smaller.
My original plan was to get me a DSRL Bag to put Scarlet, batteries, SSDs, and everything but after taking a look at the case of the SSDs and battery I will need to rethink that. I might go for a normal Kata bag or similar.
Eventhough I love the look and finishing of Reds products, I can’t get everything from them (my banc account wouldn’t be that happy), so I though I give you a list of similar or same products, but way cheaper, that I plan to buy.
To start with I’m looking to get the Top-handle-cheese it’s exactly the same one as Red’s Top Handle, but almost 50% of the price. With the money I’m saving I can take the Side Handle (Cheese) , what I like about that one, ist that you can mount your LCD on the side handle and have it at the height of your eyes, or you could also mount a mic or something similar!
So thats everything for now. If you want to know anything about what I got just ask any question I’ll answer asap!